Local restrictions: what you can or cannot do

4 Aug 2020 10:00
Published by: Scott Callan

The government has announced new restrictions for Bolton and Greater Manchester.

An outbreak of coronavirus has been identified in parts of Greater Manchester, east Lancashire, and West Yorkshire.

The government and relevant local authorities are now acting together to control the spread of the virus.

If you live in one of the affected areas, in order to help prevent the spread of coronavirus, you should not:

·             meet people you do not live with inside a private home or garden, except where you have formed a support bubble (or for other limited exemptions to be specified in law)

·          visit someone else’s home or garden even if they live outside of the affected areas

·         socialise with people you do not live with in other indoor public venues – such as pubs, restaurants, cafes, shops, places of worship, community centres, leisure and entertainment venues, or visitor attractions

·         You may attend these venues with people you live with (or are in a support bubble with), but should avoid interaction with others. If you run such a business, you should take steps to ensure people do not interact with people they do not live with, in line with Covid-19 Secure guidance

·          visit friends or family in care homes, other than in exceptional circumstances. Care homes should restrict visits to these circumstances


The government is passing new laws to enforce the changes to meeting people in private homes and gardens.

The police will be able to take action against those that break these rules, including asking people to disperse and issuing fixed penalty notices (starting at £100 – halving to £50 if paid in the first 14 days – and doubling for subsequent offences).


You may be interested in