Your Local Independent 132

ISSUE 132 • SEPTEMBER 2019 ALSO COVERING BOLTON • BURY AND SURROUNDING AREAS FREE YOUR LOCAL Inde endent ROCHDALE HEYWOOD SUITES MADE TO YOUR OWN REQUIREMENTS MYRTLE GROVE, BACUP ROAD, RAWTENSTALL 01706 831630 RE-COVER & REPAIR SERVICES AVAILABLE • www.rajupholstery.co.uk • OPEN 7 DAYS NO MIDDLEMAN • BUY DIRECT FROM THE MANUFACTURER LARGE RANGE OF BEDS AT FACTORY PRICES Specialists In Bespoke Fireplaces & Chimney Breast Designs For more information, visit www.phoenixfires.co.uk or call 01706 367 982 Our stunning showroom plays home to the biggest selection of log burners, multi-fuel stoves, e-suites, gas fires, surrounds and more! The Old Phoenix Brewery Green Lane • Heywood • Manchester • OL10 2EP ROCHDALE John Street, Rochdale OL16 2HP Tel. 01706 640561 EASY FREE PARKING • COOKERS •WASHERS • FRIDGE FREEZERS • AMERICAN FRIDGE FREEZERS • DISHWASHERS • COOKER HOODS • TUMBLE DRYERS ARIEN DOMESTIC APPLIANCES EST 1979 WELCOME TO “WE BELIEVE WE CAN’T BE BEATEN ON PRICE!” WE OFFER A FAST LOW COST DELIVERY ON ALL PURCHASES, THE CUSTOMER COMES FIRST COMEANDTAKE ADVANTAGEOF OURMASSIVESUMMERSALE Tel: Andy (Bury) RELIABLE DECORATOR • Free Estimates • Discount OAP’s • 25 Years Experience 0161 317 6240 or 07530 347703 Manufacturers of blinds • Fast Service 3Vertical Blinds £99 We do roller,venetian and all your blind needs. For a FREE appointment or quote please contact us on sales@blindsinn.com • www.blindsinn.com Rollers/Venetians/Conservatories Tel: 01706 550510 07533 293380 High street shortlisted for Great British award ROCHDALE’S town centre has beaten off stiff competition to be shortlisted for the rising star award in the government’s Great British High Street Awards 2019. It is one of only 28 high streets across the country in the category, and the only one in Greater Man- chester, which celebrates up and coming local communities who are transforming their future. The shortlisted bid highlight- ed all the work taking place in the town centre, which is in the mid- dle of a £400 million transforma- tion programme. These include high profile de- velopments, like retail and leisure scheme, Rochdale Riverside, which has already signed Next, M&S, JD Sports, Boots and River Island and the 6-screen Reel Cinema. The devel- opment, which has just added H&M and Hollywood Bowl’s new mini golf concept, Puttstars, is due to open to the public in spring 2020. The submission, which was organ- ised by Rochdale’s new Business Im- provement District (BID), also high- INSIDE THIS ISSUE: D-DAY VETERAN HONOURED ––– PAGE 9 ––– BURY HOSPICE COLUMN ––– PAGE 8 ––– PROSTATE CANCER AWARENESS FEATURE ––– PAGES 15-17 ––– FOOD + DRINK ––– PAGE 20 ––– MOTORING ––– PAGE 30 ––– SPORT ––– PAGE 31 ––– lighted the packed events calendar in Rochdale. A number of new independent businesses have also popped up in recent years, supported by our busi- ness rates sale and small business start-up grant, including bar and restaurant, the Medicine Tap, coffee bar and lunch venue, Roasted and Toasted, café and coffee shop, Petit Café, and high quality men’s outfit- ter, Buckley Menswear, which has been shortlisted for a Drapers award for best new retailer 2019. Cllr John Blundell, our cabinet member for regeneration, said: “There’s no doubt that Rochdale has undergone a massive transforma- tion in recent years and I’m over the moon that these huge changes have been recognised at a national level. “The reason our high street is on the up is because we’ve not focussed solely on retail. Successful high streets are about having the right mix and we’ve got it all here; major high street chains coming in through Rochdale Riv- erside, thriving independent busi- nesses, a packed events programme, beautiful public areas like the re- opened river and a major heritage of- fer, which we’re actively developing.” The judges will visit each short- listed town centre over the coming months and speak to visitors and businesses. Judges’ scores make up 80 per cent of the final score, with the remaining 20 per cent coming from the public via an online vote. Voting ends at midnight on Mon- day, 7 October. The winner will be announced in a ceremony in London in November. Rochdale high street has been nominated for a top national award Our family run company with over 35 year’s experience in the plumbing and bathroom industry. Since our opening we have continued to develop into a fantastic local independent company that you can always rely on. We strive on 100% customer satisfaction and our Facebook reviews are testament to this, we supply all your bathroom needs that will make your dream bathroom a reality. La Bocca Bathrooms (Previously known as Plumbworks) 248 Milnrow Road, Rochdale OL16 5BQ Telephone 01706 656454 Mobile 07904 536661 Open Monday – Friday, Weekends are appointment only, Late Night evening appointments available Follow us on Facebook: yourlocalindependent

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy NzYwODU=